Thursday, February 21, 2013

Bubble Wrapping

I was listening to the news today and there was a discussion of the effects of bullying. There had been a study done somewhere and the results where that the scars of being bullied can stay with you well into adulthood or even forever. My first thought was a sarcastic 'really' that needed a study to ascertain.
Now I am not writing to talk about the need we seem to have to do endless studies that inform us of things most of us already no. What got my spider sensors tingling was more of a gut feeling of 'shit' not another reason to baby this generation. Now  please understand I despise bullying in any form, and I have always stepped up whenever I have either experienced it or seen it being implemented BUT I have a issue with not giving tools to teach internal and emotional fortitude.
Do we not need to teach strength of character and stop our incessant need to keep our kids wrapped in bubble wrap. Is it working? Suicides within the teenage population is on the rise and with the internet and other technologies the use of bullying is at a all time high. Schools have a no tolerance rule and acceptance of diversity is practiced. Where are we going wrong?
My thought is a simple one, Stop the babying! Stop expecting all teens to be the same and stop imposing unrealistic guide lines around behaviours and for heaven sake toughen up. We the adults need to toughen up and we need to teach resilience to our youth, not so they become robotic but so they can have tools to stand up and say enough and feel great about it. So that they understand that they are the stronger ones and that the bullies are the weak and pathetic ones. We cannot out race bullying, it follows us; those who bully us as kids bully as adults and teach their own kids to be either bullies or victims and the cycle goes on and on.
We are creating a bubble wrapped generation weather out of guilt because their are so many families where both work or because single parenting is on the rise or for a myriad of other reasons, but we need to stop. It is not working. Do I have a magic wand -yes- but not the spell to create those changes.
We seem to be so involved with keeping every one happy but it seems to me only a select few are and the rest of us have to be accepting or else. The minority wins. Kids and adults need to develop a tougher outer skin and stop being such a bunch of whiners. Harsh yes but that is my thoughts on the subject, many will not agree but that is still the great thing about being in a country where freedom of voice and thoughts have yet to be 'desensitised'  and 'neutralised' for the betterment of the all!


Just my thoughts and my rant
Namaste
Debra Rae

No comments:

Post a Comment