Friday, May 27, 2011

My size

I am always suprised when my ego unexpectedly shows itself; I was out clothes shopping and tried on a outfit that was a few sizes smaller than I wear, and it fit......of course I bought it regardless of the fact that it wasn't what I wanted based purely on my ego jumping up and down about the label size. Now when I got home and hung it up next to another outfit I immediately noticed that it was in fact bigger than the dress next to it. A dress in my normal size!
Really you think I would be well aware of the 'industry' and the tricks they employee to fool us into buying things. I went back to australia not that long ago to visit family and had a conversation with a young girl from europe who was working in a clothing store on bondi beach in sydney. My daughter was trying on clothes in size aussie 12 in canada she would be a 10 and in usa an 8. The shop assistant was surprised we bought anything thinking we where american because 'they' the americans get really upset that they are in such big sizes in australia and that is just not right.
Really are we so stupid! We believe sizing over our scales. Marilyn Monroe was a size 12, in todays marketplace she would be running around saying she was a 8. We need to be in single didgits;really. I grew up a health size 10-12 now if I was that size I would be considered in the plus size market by the fashion industry.
We need to get a grip here- we are being supersized everywhere we go - we consume 50 percent more than the last few generations and we are all getting bigger. Except for our clothing sizes - one plus one folks - this is all a huge con. One of my closest friends is tiny in australia she is a size 6-8 in america she would be a 2 are you kidding me why are we so consumed with being considered a zero I mean grow the `f` up people and become real again. Maybe if we all stoppped being so blind we could actually become a real caring person once again, that issues not ego mattered, that what you are not what you look like was important here.
Just saying......

No comments:

Post a Comment